NIT Bracketology: Projections For BYU
BYU’s Quarterfinal appearance in the WCC Tournament could determine BYU’s whether or not the Cougars go to the NIT.
The last time BYU Basketball missed the NCAA & NIT Tournaments was in the 2004-2005 season
Everyone knows that BYU has zero chance of making it into the NCAA Tournament as an at-large. In fact, BYU only has a 5.8% chance of earning a guaranteed bid to the NCAA Tournament by winning the West Coast Conference Tournament in Vegas.
That brings NIT Bracketology to the forefront for BYU fans. As depressing as that sounds, it’s the reality for Cougar hoops.
To my surprise, there is a large number (compared to what I was expecting) of individuals who blog and track NIT Bracketology.
Here are links to nine different NIT Bracketology projections, and in all nine, BYU is not projected to host a game in the Marriott Center, and two of the projections don’t have BYU in the current NIT field.
- Bracketball: (2) Boise State vs. (7) BYU
- NYC Buckets: (3) Oregon vs. (6) BYU (BYU is listed as a ‘bubble’ team)
- All Things NIT: BYU in the First Four Out of the NIT
- Best Damn Bracket: BYU not listed in projected NIT field
- Carolina Sports Thoughts: (4) Old Dominion vs. (5) BYU
- DRatings: (3) Utah vs. (6) BYU
- Jason Wells Bracketology: (3) Washington vs. (6) BYU
- RTS Ratings: BYU not listed in projected NIT field
- Reddit: (4) Oklahoma State vs. (5) BYU
Ken Pomeroy joined Ben Criddle on ESPN 960 AM on Monday and discussed the possibility of BYU missing the NIT if they were to lose to San Diego in the WCC Tournament and he said, “it’s definitely possible.”
If BYU falls to the Toreros, a team the Cougars lost to by double-digits nearly two weeks ago, the Cougs would likely be headed for the CBI or CIT. Yikes.
The last time BYU missed both the NCAA Tournament and NIT in a season was the 2004-2005 campaign where BYU won nine games and Steve Cleveland left the Cougars to lead the hometown program Fresno State for the remainder of his coaching career.