10 Things About BYU Sports The Last Time LeBron James Missed The NBA Finals (2010)
A lot has changed in BYU Athletics since June 2010.
Last time LeBron missed the Finals, BYU Football had a winning streak against Utah
The Eastern Conference Finals just concluded in the NBA Playoffs, and once again, LeBron James is the Eastern Conference Champion headed to the NBA Finals. This will be LeBron’s eighth consecutive appearance in the NBA Finals.
Many people have been reflecting on where they were the last time LeBron was not in the NBA Finals. That would be June of 2010 to be exact.
I, of course, looked back at what the world of BYU athletics was like the last time LeBron wasn’t playing for an NBA title. Different world than what is currently taking place for the Cougars.
- BYU was in the Mountain West Conference
- BYU was two months away from Independence plans being leaked
- Games were on The mtn.
- Jimmer Fredette just completed his junior season
- BYU was coming off of a victory against Utah in football!
- BYU Football had won 10+ games the past four seasons
- Kelly Poppinga was an intern; Nick Howell Graduate Assistant
- Jake Heaps just completed his first spring practice as a true freshman
- BYU Basketball had four consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament
- Kalani Sitake just completed his first season as the defensive coordinator at Utah
A lot has changed for BYU sports. But many things do remain the same such as Dave Rose as the head coach of the basketball program, Tom Holmoe as the Athletic Director, facilities, etc.
Think of where Twitter, social media, smartphones were in 2010 to now. LeBron’s dominance has been incredible. The ten things I just listed with BYU sports seem like a lifetime ago and LeBron is still doing it at the highest of levels. Can’t help but tip your cap to him. All I know is that BYU fans should be hoping he doesn’t go to anymore NBA Finals after this season, because maybe, BYU might knock off Utah again in football.